wappenkl.gif (1673 Byte)

relief3.gif (6038 Byte)

The German Mayors of Bruenn

March 1849:

It was only since 1850 that the citicens of Bruenn were permitted to elect their mayors.

Even then the mayors “decission-making”  needed a common consense and had to be confirmed by the higher state authorities.

1851 – 1855 Anton Ritter von Haberler
1855 – 1861 Dr.Rudolf von Ott
1861 – 1864 Christian d´ Elvert
1864 – 1866 Alfred Skene
1866  – 1867 Dr.Karl Giskra
Since 1851

German Mayors, who were elected from 1851 till end of World War I in 1918, gave essential impulses for the development and modernization of the town in  respects to the welfare and well being of all the citizens, independent to their nationality. 1868  – 1870 Dr.Rudolf von Ott
1870  – 1876 Christian d´ Elvert
1876  – 1880 Dr. Karl van der Strass
1880  – 1894 Gustav Winterholler


1894  – 1916 Dr.August Wieser
1916  – 1918 Ferdinand Schnitzler
1939  – 1945 Oscar Judex



Anton Ritter von Haberler  was taking care for the welfare of the people and for charity installations, he initiated the extension and consolidation of the drainage and sewer system as well as the building of a new bridge over the Schwarza River and the establishing of the new cemetery.

Dr.Rudolf von Ott 
ontinued the work of his predecessors in respect to drainage and sewer, his special interest was concentrated on the school  system and continuation of school installations. During his time in office, the installation of street illumination by  gas lantern began.

Christian d´ Elvert
In his two periods of being mayor, new schools were established, streets paved, the streets illuminations improved and he took care of landscaping bare lands by planting trees and shrubs, in particular for the then bare Spielberg with its fortress. 

Alfred Skene 
took care of the poor and  arranged to have new schools build, where he introduced “Physical Education” for the first time.

Dr. Karl Giskra
Continued the work of his predecessors during the relatively short time he held office.

Dr. Karl van der Strass
Completed many of the improvements of his predecessors

Gustav Winterholler
Instituted the class of Kindergarten and promoted the construction of the new city theater (with the first electric illumination in an European theater). He succeeded also in providing for the destitute, in building a bridge over the Schwarza River and by the foundation of the new Central Cemetery.

Dr. August Wieser
became the mayor, serving the longest time in office. He introduced the city to modernization. During his term in office a gas and electric plant was set up, street cars and street-light system were converted from gas to electric, an employment and childrens welfare office was established for the city, a new section of the city was developed and a modern maternity ward was installed. Special attention was paid to the city employees, the elderly, widowed and orphaned.

Ferdinand Schnitzler
governed the city during the last two years of WW1. Because of the continuation of the war, he could only protect the existing improvements.

Oskar Judex
Was appointed as mayor after Hitler’s troops occupied Czechoslovakia and it was declared a Protectorate. Soon after  WW II broke out,  Judex was still able, to make two important decisions: to correct and improve the traffic conditions and to finish the “Ringstraße”, ( circular street, following the old city fortifications line).


© BRUNA November 2001 Webmaster: webmaster@bruenn.org